Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Travel to Germany through Niemandswasser

I just finished reading Robert Aickman's superbly chilling collection of short stories, compiled in Cold Hand in Mine. Fortunately, none of the stories have scared me to death as the book's cover threatened. Instead, what really shakes me is the fact that none of the stories show a clear resolution. As the friend who lent me the copy predicted, the failure to make each story's elements fit together logically is driving me nuts.

Of all of the short stories, "Niemandswasser"* (1975) left the strongest impression. Aickman creates such striking visual imagery, crafting dark, lavish descriptions of the foreboding castles, quaint chateaus, and haunted lakes, that I felt that I had just viewed a beautiful Gothic painting, or taken a time-warp tour of Germany through the eyes of Shelley. Aickman does not overload the reader with lengthy descriptions, instead creating an overarching ambiance that remains both subtle and unforgettable. Beautiful yet terrifying, blending the best traditions of classic ghost stories with Aickman's own penchant for penning unresolved nightmares created by the subconscience. 


Part of me would love to visit the old German schloss Aickman described with such dark relish - while the other part is very happy that I can leave the cursed castles (pronounced cur-sid if you're Vincent Price) anytime by simply closing the book. Which, of course, I cannot help but reopen.



*Translation: No Man's Water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Your comment will first be moderated for decency and drollness before posting to the public.