Saturday, July 13, 2013

Outdoor Concert Chronicles


Pink Martini at Wolf Trap

Oh, where to start... Pink Martini is one of my favorite bands ever. Wolf Trap is my favorite outdoor venue. So, Pink Martini + Wolf Trap = Yay!

Ridiculously talented, the group blends sultry world sounds with the nostalgic styles of the 1940s and 50s. Their lead singer, China Forbes, recently returned from successful vocal chord surgery, so it was a huge treat seeing her perform on July 1st.

I would have died for either of the dresses she wore for the concert. The first was a sweeping cherry-colored high-low gown which she wore with a sparkling bib-style necklace. The second, following intermission, was a black one-shoulder gown with embellishment at the shoulder and a side leg slit. I totally agree with my friend Maya, who turned to me and sobbed "I. Want. That. Dress!"




BSO at Oregon Ridge, Star Spangled Spectacular


This was both my first time visiting Oregon Ridge Park and my first time hearing the fabulous Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Our group wisely commandeered a picnic bench in the shade near the top of the hill, and covered it in a spread including chips, salsa-cream cheese chutney, avocado-yogurt dip, Chardonnay, pink lemonade, and gluten-free Trader Joe's cookies. A refreshing setup while we waited for the sun to set. By the time the fireflies came out, we were enjoying a cool, relaxing evening.

Emerging opera soprano Katie von Kooten presented patriotic songs from various eras, including selections from vaudeville & Broadway composer George M. Cohan (love him - he wrote "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandee" and "You're a Grand Ol' Flag"). She also performed modern Broadway favorites like "I Dreamed a Dream" from Le Miz and "Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera. Being a bit misty-eyed over the Le Miz rendition, I didn't have the presence of mind to film it, but did catch most of the Phantom pick. Lovely, rich voice:




The program ended with a nostalgic fireworks display. We endured a long wait leaving the parking lot - tons of cars (shudder)! But well worth it, honestly.


Scythian at the Annapolis Irish Festival

My favorite local (more or less) band, Scythian is a DC-based group with a celtic-gypsy-world-americana sound. It all makes sense when you hear their distinct, infectious sound. The Annapolis Irish Festival, now in its third year, was crowded to the point that people had arrived early and set up tents in front of the main stage. Great to see it's taking off, but a challenge to find a place to stand without getting in people's way. We ended up standing a bit off to the side and shading ourselves from the sun with my rainbow-colored umbrella, which at least has some green in it. I may want to invest in an old-fashioned parasol next time. Every girl needs one, just sayin'.




It was hot, about 85 degrees, and the humidity made it feel about ten degrees hotter. But I wouldn't have missed Scythian for the world, even for a cold, refreshing mimosa. Especially since I'd already had one this morning. Anyway....

Scythian drew from a variety of their repertoire, including some of my favorites like "Hey Mama Ya," a 'Nawlins style number; "Dance All Night," and - my favorite - "Jack Dempsey." They're always fun and always great at interacting with the crowd.



Sure, Maryland's summers are blistering and humid, but it's worth braving the energy-zapping heat for the outdoor concerts in the area. And now, I'm going to go drink three gallons of iced tea. And maybe pour some of it on my head.









2 comments:

  1. There's nothing like summer for outdoor music options!

    I may have to check out this Pink Martini band. I usually like jazz & swing for my vintage tunes, but I grew up listening to 1940s tunes since it's my parents' type of music.

    I was at the Annapolis Irish Festival, too. There to see Albannach (rolocking Scottish pipes & drums) and my husband's new favorite, The Screaming Orphans, who are actually quite charming lasses from Donegal. You are not kidding about the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ~runningwave~! The Festival is so much fun, and I'll have to be sure to check out Albannach and The Screaming Orphans. After all, who doesn't love a genuine Irish accent? :) Hopefully the weather will be less murderous next time, though I doubt it will stop us true Celtic music lovers!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Your comment will first be moderated for decency and drollness before posting to the public.